Tuesday, January 6, 2009

TO LIVE IN SICILY OR NOT? THAT IS THE QUESTION!

I have been contemplating for a while now whether I would be able to move back to Sicily or not. Sure, I visit relatively often and everytime I go I cling on to my aunt Rosalia’s furniture for dear life because I do not want to return, but the reality is – all is great when you are on vacation –but living there is an entirely different animal –right?

Don’t get me wrong, I love Los Angeles. I live on the Westside and as my husband “nicely” puts it, I am very “Hollywood” thus fit right in. I love shopping at the Beverly Center, having a nice dinner at Madeo or drinking a delicious espresso at Caffe Roma in Beverly Hills.

When I think of all the superficial things I would leave behind I do get sad: Santa Monica, Hollywood Hills, The Grove, 3rd St., Robertson Blvd., and most of all….my Beverly Hills! What can I say? I am who I am and I make no excuses for it!

But on a deeper level, my main issue is that my husband’s family and my parents and sister are here in Los Angeles. Not to mention my dear friends.

But when I think of the quality of life I would live there, versus the one I live here I almost instantly become convinced that Sicily is the place to be.

One of the main reasons I would love to live there is because of the delicious and healthy food. All the fresh products, the freshly baked bread and all the different choices! I am the type of girl that cooks a fresh, homemade meal every day for my family so Sicily would be my paradise.

The pace of life is also very appealing. Here in LA it’s “go, go, go!” but in Sicily they take the time to truly enjoy life. I love the idea of simply relaxing and enjoying my family. Watching the sunset on the beautiful beaches of Aspra while sipping on homemade wine and freshly made arancine. Taking family walks around la piazza with nothing to do but, “walk”.

No, I am not complaining about my life here – I LOVE IT! But a part of me belongs in Sicily; and I must be true to that part of my - self.


Oh...and...as usual...if you are planning a trip to Italy please visit: www.DiscoverItaly.net
or follow the blog on http://honeymoonsinitaly.blogspot.com/

6 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I can understand exactly how you feel! Even when you love a place, it can take time adjusting - but adjust you do. And, as you say, being on holiday is very different from living in a place. I'm now philosophical: if I didn't sometimes miss the UK and the "me" I am when there, that would be a sad statement on the first 55 years of my life! Then, just as you would, I think of the fresh food here and the lifestyle - and I know I'm where I need to be.

Costa Bella said...

You sound like an extremely interesting person. I enjoy your comments very much!

Unknown said...

Hi! Thanks for commenting on my blog! And I understand you completely in feeling torn between two worlds. I loved being home in LA and it takes some time to adjust being back in Sicily. I clearly see the positives of each place and have come to accept that I can have it all, just not at the same time! I try to live in the moment and that does help. It is only unfortuante that the two places are so far apart! Wouldn't it be nice if they were just a little bit closer?

Costa Bella said...

Dear Lost in Sicily,

I think that it's part of the beauty.....they are sooo far away...they are worlds apart! But I don't know, I really think I would get used to it quickly. I love that lifestyle..but I also love this lifestyle....I guess the best thing is simply to live in both places...winters in LA and summers in Sicily. That would be ideal.

Saretta said...

Why not try 6 months in LA and 6 months in Sicily each year?

Costa Bella said...

Dear Saretta,

That is MY DREAM and I am trying to work that out. But I'm mot sure about the logistics. I just don't know where to start! But 1/2 and 1/2 would be the ultimate for me. THANKS!!