Wednesday, January 21, 2009

THIGH FACTOR: ITALY VS. USA

Ok, so I just came off a PAINFUL and I mean VERY PAINFUL 2-week detox diet. For two weeks straight I could only eat fruits and veggies. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE fruits and veggies…. as a SIDE DISH but NOT as the main and only dish. Let me put it this way: I love to eat. Actually, I LOOOOOVE to eat.

My father is a well-known chef and growing-up in Sicily I was spoiled with all of my zia’s delectable meals. Eating is a sacred act to me, seriously. I look forward to every meal and enjoy every last bite.

So needless to say, when I would wake up and realize that what I had to look forward to for breakfast was kiwis, oranges, and apples I nearly lost my marbles. Then for lunch soup, and for dinner salad….aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

I don’t consider myself a hard-core carnivore, but boy was I craving cows, pigs, chickens….even my neighbor’s cat was looking pretty attractive to me. And let’s not even talk about my detailed-and-strange dreams of pasta. So here is my question: WHY DO WE HAVE TO GO TROUGH THIS????????????????

Yes, I know the obvious. I do it because my thighs are starting to have their own personalities and it’s scaring me. But why am I gaining weight when I almost always eat healthy food? AND WHY IS MY ENTIRE FAMILY IN ITALY SO THIN???????

Ok so here are the usually theories: THEIR food is fresh - not processed, OURS is HIGHLY processed, THEY walk everywhere, WE drive two blocks away (remember the movie- LA Story?), THEY have overall healthier lifestyles, OUR healthy lifestyle includes sitting countless hours in front of the TV (something I never do!).

But I also know that weight is more of a mental issue than anything else. In one of my favorite books called, You Can Heal Your Life by Louise Hay she explains how one gains weight because they are unhappy with some aspect of their life or for protection, or insecurities. I believe this to be 100% true. Recently, a client of mine disclosed that ever since she started my Healing Program called “Get the Life You Deserve” (for more info please go to
www.ConnieCosta.com) she lost 15-20 pounds just by learning to love herself more. WOW!

So- is my family back in Sicily just eating fresher products, walking more….or simply….happier? They really do seem genuinely happy. Is it because life is “simpler” in Sicily? Any theories/ideas/comments on any of these topics are greatly appreciated.

Oh…and of course…check out the Discover Italy Blog which provides helpful travel tips to those wanting to visit my BELLA ITALIA: http://discoveritalytours.blogspot.com


Or simply visit:
www.DiscoverItaly.net

Ciao….a presto!


Concetta

4 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I think you did very well to stick to the diet. I sometimes wonder why all my friends are so slim here for they certainly eat well and they never walk anywhere! Probably the freshness of the food is part of it and the fact that they eat very little breakfast. They also eat a phenomenal amount of fruit.

Costa Bella said...

Yeah, I stuck to the diet but did not lose much.
I GIVE UP! =(

Patsy said...

patspadav@

Patsy said...

Ilike to wach another game of soccer